East Village fire victim was charging nine e-bike batteries

East Village fire victim was charging nine e-bike batteries

The man killed in a raging East Village fire was charging nine e-bike batteries inside his apartment when the flames erupted, with the explosive force of the blaze blowing out the windows and a wall inside the fourth-floor residence, FDNY officials said Friday.To get more news about davinci, you can visit davincimotor.com official website.

The two teens who escaped the 7 a.m. fire were sleeping in their beds when the rubble crashed down on them, with the pair able to shimmy down a pipe to safety after fleeing the flames through one of the shattered windows, said FDNY Commissioner Daniel Nigro.

A police source indicated the multiple lithium ion batteries were charging simultaneously when one exploded, engulfing the apartment in a deadly instant.

“These flames, they way the fire took hold of his apartment ... that fire was raging,” said Nigro. “We arrived in four minutes, and by the time we were there, this fire was already an advanced fire.”Nigro cited a deadly and disturbing citywide trend of fires ignited by the batteries: 93 so far this year, compared with the 2020 total of 44. The 2021 fires left 73 people injured and four people dead, he said, while there were no fatalities reported last year.
“This is a very disturbing trend,” said Nigro. “Going back a few years, this did not occur. We see all these e-bikes all around us. ... As their numbers grow, the dangers will grow.”

The teens’ critically injured 46-year-old mother remained Friday at New York-Presbyterian Weill Cornell, with second-degree burns over much of her body and months of medical attention ahead as she recovers.

Her 13-year-old son and 18-year-old daughter were taken to the same hospital after the dramatic escape, with the teen girl suffering burns to her arm before climbing out a window with her brother as the pair scurried down an electrical conduit pipe and into the arms of local residents.The year-long rash of battery blasts led to a change in FDNY EMS policy, with crews instructed to no longer put e-bikes into the ambulances when responding to accidents involving the vehicles, a fire source said Friday.

“These items are not to be removed by field units,” reads the new directive. “They are even more dangerous when transported in confined spaces. ... Under no circumstances is a unit to transport an e-bike or a scooter in the back of an ambulance when transporting a patient.”

Nigro said the exploding batteries were added to the usual list of fire dangers during the Christmas season: Candles, cooking and extension cords. He urged e-bike owners to only buy new batteries from an authorized seller.


Read more